Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Lost Without You

              Freshman year I joined the high school jazz ensemble, but not once did I think about how being a member of this group would change my life. Alumni included. I picked up Alto Saxophone the end of my eighth grade year so the instrument itself was very new to me. I remember the first memory of one of my best friends is me sitting next to her and just watching her and hearing her play was... priceless. Yes Lizzie, I'm talking about you! Then from there it only got better. I was put on Alto 2 and met new people who sparked my love for music even more. Yes Megan, this is you too! I played Alto 2 for three years of high school and finally I had no way to escape, I knew I was going to be lead alto my senior year which has brought new challenges and passions as well. Over the years I have developed a love and passion for jazz music and the style of composition. My freshman year I could have sworn by my life that I hated jazz and it was the dumbest thing on planet earth, but now I can barely stand to sit here and type those words. Inspiring. That's what it is. Inspiring. The people, the music, the style, all of it. 
            My sophomore year we went to SHAZZ Festival (Shawano Jazz) and met an L.A musician, Eric Marienthal. Shortly after our clinic with this gentlemen, I remember Lizzie bringing to my attention that someday I might play lead alto and something that helps is LISTENING to a lot of jazz music. I decided that I would start with Eric Marienthal's music and albums and that I believe is where my love for jazz started; at the end of my sophomore year when I realized that my two best friends who love jazz would be graduating and it was now going to be my job to carry on their legacy. I took it upon myself to listen to various styles of jazz and I now listen to more jazz than I do any other kind of music. 
            Last night I had a rough night, nothing extremely terrible happened, but it was all just very overwhelming, in the process I turned to iTunes and decided I would treat myself with a new Eric Marienthal album that I hadn't yet purchased. I am pretty sure this is the best decision I have ever made because I have a new favorite jazz song. The title is "Lost Without You." This title can be interpreted many different ways, but the way that I chose to interpret it pretty much changed my life. The first question that came to my mind was lost without who? Then I thought about how it was a jazz song and how the one word I always use to describe jazz is inspiring. The answer to the question? Lost without the people I love who have inspired me and my love for music and jazz. I would be lost without them. Lizzie has pushed me to the point where I felt like breaking, only to watch me be lead alto my senior year. Megan has pushed more of my concert band side of me, but again to a point that has literally changed my life forever. Then there is Jonny, who as a freshman, has kept me on my toes with constant questions about the style and composition and has inspired me to be better to show him how good HE can be! Then, last but certainly not least, my director. "Lost Without You" is the title of the jazz song. Lost without the people who have inspired me to be me. I love them all. These people are truly amazing and gifted and have expanded my love for music. 
             I wanted to write this post to let all of these people, and others not mentioned know that I would truly be lost without you. I can't begin to explain how much I love you guys and how excited I am to watch you all grow and fulfill your dreams. You four are my life changers and the reason I strive to do my best and from the bottom of my heart the most I can say is "Thank You."

Keep Calm and Visit "Home" 
Where ever that may be for YOU! 

A.B

No comments:

Post a Comment